Summertime calls for a different kind of cookie, Lemon-Lavender Shortbread is a perfect example of such a summery cookie. I love the smell of lavender and lemons and the two flavors harmonize so well together.
After a bit of research, I came across a wonderful recipe at Food&Wine. The recipe was contributed by Alison Attenborough, a chef, food stylist, restaurant consultant, recipe developer and author of “Cooking for Friends”.
The recipe for the Lemon-Lavender Shortbread is easy and and does not require many ingredients. It is important to use high quality dried lavender blossoms and I found some at a local health food store.
Recipe for Lemon-Lavender Shortbread
(as adapted from Food&Wine)
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1 tsp dried organic lavender blossoms, chopped finely
1 tsp finely grated organic lemon zest
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar with the chopped lavender and grated lemon zest. To get the most flavor out of the grated zest, mix the zest and sugar together with your fingertips, rubbing the two ingredients together until the sugar is moist, grainy and deliciously fragrant.
2. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat in the butter at moderate speed.
3. At low speed, beat in the flour and salt until a soft dough forms.
4. Transfer the dough to a sheet of wax paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5.. Form the dough into a 4-inch log and chill for at least 45 minutes longer.
6. Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
7. Slice the shortbread dough into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and place the rounds on ungreased baking sheets.and freeze the rounds for 10 minutes
8. Bake the shortbread for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Transfer the baked shortbread to a wire rack to cool completely.
The cookie-dough log can be frozen for up to one month. Thaw slightly before slicing. The baked shortbread can be stored in an airtight container for up to five days.
The combination of lavender blossoms and lemon zest is wonderful and summery and I loved the delicate floral flavor of these delicious cookies.