Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie - Almond Biscotti


Today`s recipe for the Tuesdays with Dorie group is „Hazelnut Biscotti“, a recipe that was contributed by author, pastry chef, and teacher Alice Medrich.




I love baking biscotti, always did, always will. Biscotti are easy and fun to bake, look elegant and keep well and this recipe for Hazelnut Biscotti is no exception. With only a few ingredients such as nuts, flour, baking soda, salt, Frangelico, vanilla and sugar, the dough was a breeze to put together. The only two little changes I made to the recipe was to sub the hazelnuts for the almonds (leaving the skins on because we just like them that way) and using Amaretto instead of Frangelico.




The dough gets baked twice, first, you make logs on a baking sheet, bake them, let them cool for a few minutes and then slice the logs (on the diagonal) and then you bake the biscotti again – to your desired degree of crispy/crunchiness. We all loved the way the Biscotti tasted and I loved baking them and serving them with my favorite accompaniment to a biscotti, an espresso macchiato. Heaven!




For the espresso, I chose to use coffee beans from a local coffee roasting company called “Einbrand” (the name of the company refers to the fact that the coffee beans loose some of their weight while roasting).

Our gracious hosts for today's recipe are Jodi of  Homemade and Wholesome and Katrina of Baking and Boys - a big Thank You to both!




To see how the other Doristas prepared the Hazelnut Biscotti, please click here.


17 comments:

  1. Your pictures are wonderful! The last one is just looking at me while I am typing...I'm thinking to give it a bite!

    Julia's biscotti is amazingly delicious... a winner!
    I've tripled the dough at the very beginning to make 3 version and loved them all (too much)!

    Besides I am so glad to have learned the technique of blanching almonds and hazelnuts...it's very handy!
    But I surely will try to leave the skins on to see what the taste-difference will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've chopped the almonds so neatly!! I did think of leaving the skin around.. but wasnt too sure..loved this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy and so inviting with the coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take great pictures Andrea and I love how you made your biscotti a bit thicker. Great combination with the amaretto! And I love the goat story, such a great idea for coffee. Your city seems to be such a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your biscotti looks so evenly golden on top and bottom. Love that! I have never had an espresso macchiato, but it sounds delicious. I love all your photos (as usual), but I especially love that last close-up of the biscotti. Hope all is well at home now, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love biscotti with a hot cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectly beautiful :-)
    I left the skins on my hazelnuts as well. I really don't mind them in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea, Gorgeous biscotti and beautiful photos!! I feel as you do…I just love biscotti, and also enjoy baking them! I happened to have blanched hazelnuts on hand. However, I don’t mind the skins either! So glad you enjoyed the Limoncello Biscotti…they’re a new favorite of mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your coffee looks wonderful! I think I need to go have one right now. Your biscotti is also beautifully cooked. We liked these as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos of the biscotti. We also really enjoyed making this recipe. A little easier than the strawberry cake, and truly delicious. With or without coffee ;-) .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea, I feel the same way about biscotti. They are one of my favorites. I'm glad to know you tried them successfully with almonds and Amaretto. I was thinking that would be a good combination, so that's the way I'll make them next time. I just read your other post about Einbrand coffee, so it sounds like you have a great pairing there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually have at least one log of some type of biscotti in my freezer - makes things super easy if I'm too lazy to even make a mix :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look delicious! I went with pistachio for mine, but almond looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos, as usual! Your flavour choices sound delicious, too.

    It's nice to have a good coffee roaster or two nearby, isn't it? I'm lucky to live in an Italian-influenced neighbourhood, so there are several around here. I enjoy hearing about the local food and drink companies that folks enjoy - thanks for sharing about Einbrand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could eat the last picture! I like your almond amaretto combination. Looks better than mine. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It appears that you are a "pro" regarding biscotti but that may be because you are such a coffee maven. Yours look delicious and wonderful. Good with coffee, of course, but do your kids like it with milk? Maybe you don't let them have any because of the liquor, huh? We think its prettyt much baked out so I shared with my granddaughters. Nice job, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete