Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie - Blueberry-Nectarine Pie


Today`s recipe for the Tuesdays with Dorie group is „Blueberry-Nectarine Pie“, a recipe that was contributed by baker Leslie Mackie.




The Blueberry-Nectarine Pie is a double crust pie filled with delicious blueberries and ripe nectarines and made with a flaky pie dough topped with turbinado sugar. The first step in this recipe is, of course, the  preparation of the flaky pie dough with a mix of really cold unsalted butter and vegetable shortening ( I used ice-cold lard), flour, salt and ice water. The dough can be made by hand, in a mixer or a food processor. I always make my pie dough by hand, that is just the method I like best. The pie dough has to be chilled for a good two hours before it can be rolled out. So there is plenty of time to prepare the filling of blueberries and nectarines.




The filling is cooked for a minute or two and then cooled before it gets added to the pie. I had never used that method in my pie making before. The filling consists of blueberries, nectarines, sugar, some AP flour, sea salt and freshly grated lemon zest. Only part of the fruit is cooked briefly and than the rest of the fruit gets added to the filling. That way you can easily adjust the sweetness of the cooked fruit All that is left to do is to let the filling cool.




After the dough has chilled and the filling has cooled, you roll out half and fit it in the pie plate (I used a glass pie plate).Then you add the filling, dot with butter, roll out the second half, trim, fold, crimp, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake until the crust is nicely browned and the filling is bubbling .




After the pie had time to rest you can enjoy a slice or even two with some vanilla ice cream!




I loved the flaky pie crust, it was easy to prepare and easy to roll out and it browned nicely in the oven. The taste testers all loved this pie especially with a bit of vanilla ice cream. They thought that the mix of blueberries and nectarines was wonderful, even better than just blueberries. I will be making this pie again – this recipe by Leslie Mackie is a definite keeper.

Our hosts for today's recipe are Hilary of Manchego´s Kitchen and Liz of That Skinny Chicken Can Bake - a big Thank You to both our gracious hosts!

To see how wonderful all the pies from the other talented Doristas turned out, please click here!



37 comments:

  1. We can always count on you to deliver an perfect pie with gorgeous pics! I can´t wait to make it again with nectarines. The dough with lard would make perfect dough for empanadas (hand pies)! Have a great day Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula - hand pies sound wonderful. I have seen these before and I think they would make perfect party fare.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures! You're right--this recipe is, without a doubt, a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ei - this pie was good. I had never tried the blueberry/nectarine mix in a pie before but since we all liked this so much, I will make this pie again soon.

      Delete
  3. From a fellow TWD participant, your pictures are just beautiful and I love your blog. Glad to bake with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, thank you so much for your kind comment and thanks also for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos...and I can't imagine who wouldn't love this pie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanky. Lizzy - it is nice when they can all agree on a pie!

      Delete
  5. yours came out picture perfect!!! beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - summer is a nice time to bake those fruit pies and since we have had only a few really warm days, the day I made the pie, it was just the perfect "pie making weather", cool and sunny!

      Delete
  6. Andrea - your crust came out beautifully. Gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, Simply beautiful pie…and gorgeous photos! The picture with the ice cream is making me drool!! Although, I did make some changes to this pie…the flavor was wonderful and it is a keeper! A lovely job with your photos and pie!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy - pie and ice cream and summer, what a perfect mix.

      Delete
  8. I love your photos! They are gorgeous.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! The weather was just right that day for taking some nice pictures.

      Delete
  9. oh. that crust looks divine and delicious!
    your photos are great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - the crust was well received and I loved making the pie with this crust, it was easy to work with.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, perfect pie you made. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlise. Made some taste testers and pie lovers happy that day.

      Delete
  11. I agree, Andrea, this is a good recipe. I especially liked the idea (new for me) of cooking 1/2 the fruit and then adding it to the rest. I do think it's nice to taste for flavor before finishing up the pie and I will remember that technique. Yeah, the vanilla ice cream just makes a good thing even better. The cookies are all made for the arrival tomorrow of Clara and her Mom. They are delicious. I will tell her the recipe came from my friend in Germany which will be most interesting to her! Loved the fencing today, this year is my first experience with it, although it makes me verrry nervous. How would you like lightbulbs, red and green, going off in your head! Today, Italy beat our guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, glad you enjoyed the pie so much and the cookies too! As far as the fencing is concerned, I used to fence and so did one of my sons, one of the Olympic Training Centres is a five-minute walk from our house - we love fencing, lights and all, it is a fantastic sport.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! Pie is so fun and a beloved dessert. Thank you for sharing. Your pictures are wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathereine - aren´t pies wonderful, so versatile and fun to make.

      Delete
  13. Wow! Your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, if the weather is right, picture taking is always a lot of fun.

      Delete
  14. Your pie is beautiful. I am glad you liked it. I have been making this pie for over 10 years and we love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannnot believe it - you have been making this pie for over ten years. Isn´t that wonderful, that certainly speaks for how wonderful the recipe is then.

      Delete
  15. Andrea, you've made the perfect pie! It looks delicious!
    Your pictures are sooo beautiful (I know, I'm repeating myself.... :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carola, thank you so much - and you may repeat yourself as often as you want. It is always nice to hear that you liked the photos.

      Delete
  16. Fantastic presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa! This caught my attention. Your blueberry nectarine pie is SO delicious!!! Especially the last picture...oh my, the pie with ice cream looks delish! I started to crave this and so sad I can't eat it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nami, thank you! Pie and ice cream are (almost) my favorite dessert in the world.

      Delete
  18. Andrea, your pictures are just beautiful! We really loved this recipe also, I think this crust will be my go-to crust from now on, it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, thank you. This is a nice recipe for a pie crust and I have made it twice now and will make it again. A wonderful reliable recipe.

      Delete
  19. Lovely photos! I think I would use a proper pie plate next time, too - the cake pan was unnecessarily fussy. I loved the method of cooking a little fruit to thicken the filling, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I kept asking myself the whole time whether I should use my "Porcelain Blueberry Pie Plate" - I will next time, I prefer the look of a porcelain pie dish to a glass pie dish.

      Delete